In a glamorous event yesterday, 15th September, at Songo Village in Koya Chiefdom Port Loko District, the Honourable Vice President of the Republic of Sierra Leone Dr. Mohamed Juldeh Jalloh officially launched the road rehabilitation works from Makoloh junction to Koblo-Gulama formerly Mabang bridge on the Songo-Moyamba highway.
The project is part of the European Union funded “Moyamba-Moyamba Junction Road and Bridges Project. The construction of the 14km road stretch from Makoloh Junction through Songo and to Koblo-Gulama Bridge started on 1st November after the EU and the Ministry of Finance agreed on the commencement on the construction work after all the necessary steps have been followed.
Officially launching the road construction works, Dr. Mohamed Juldeh Jalloh expressed thanks to the European Union and the Government of Sierra Leone for making history for the people of Koya in Port Loko district. He further thanked President Bio for fulfilling on his promise to the people of Koya. He said, it was during the commissioning of the Koblo-Gulama Bridge in July last year that President Julius Maada Bio expressed concern about the road leading to the newly constructed bridge. In addition, it was during commissioning that President Bio promised to engage with EU to help with the rehabilitation of the road to benefit both Port Loko and Moyamba districts to harness the wider economic potential of the two districts.
Speaking at the launching ceremony, the European Union Ambassador Manuel Muller said upon completion of the works covered under the Moyamba-Moyamba Junction Road and Bridges agreement, some funds remained and the Government of Sierra Leone suggested using these funds for the 14km of road from Makoloh junction to Koblo-Gulama Bridge. Ambassador Muller said the expected costs for the road rehabilitation work is 7.35 million euros, and on that basis, the parties agreed that the EU would bear about 60% of the expected cost and Sierra Leone would bear the remaining 40%.
Ambassador Muller emphasised that this new stretch of road will bring Port Loko and Moyamba districts closer to each other thereby enhancing inter-district integration.
The Director National Authorising Office Ambrose James said the road would be an all-weather road with same standards as the Moyamba Junction to Moyamba Town and Bandajuma to Liberia Border road. He expressed thanks and appreciation to the European Union and the Government of Sierra Leone to have concluded this important milestone. Ambrose James said the project would run for 14 months and it will end in January 2025.
Other speakers includes the Minister of Planning and Economic Development, Kenyeh Barlay, Dr. Dennis Sandy Minister of Works and Public Asset, Director General, Sierra Leone Roads Authority, Ing. Alfred Momodu, Presidential Spokesman Hon. Alpha Khanu, Resident Minister North-West, Ambassador Umaru Bond Wurie, Paramount Chief Koya Chiefdom, PC Bai Kompa Bomboli III and Hon. Abdul Karim Kanu
This joint funding is a demonstration of the development cooperation between Sierra Leone and the European Union.
At the National Authorising Office (NAO), under the supervision of the Ministry of Planning and Economic Development we continue to facilitate GOSL-EU development cooperation for the benefit of Sierra Leone.